Genomics Research Center:
The Genomics Research Center (GRC) is AbbVie's center of excellence for genetics and genomics that supports R&D pipeline in close collaboration with a wide range of therapeutic and functional area organizations. The GRC is composed of five core functional areas including Genomic Technologies, Bioinformatics, Pharmacogenomics, Human Genetics and Functional Genomics, and plays an integral role toward AbbVie's goal of conducting world-class genetics and genomics research, focusing on finding the right targets, better understanding human disease biology, and advancing AbbVie drugs throughout the pipeline to help patients with unmet medical needs.Functional Genomics:
Within the GRC, the Functional Genomics group is responsible for applying CRISPR and other functional genomic technologies to drug discovery and development research to discover and validate novel drug targets for Immunology, Oncology and Neuroscience pipelines, and to transform human genetics data into drug targets and pathogenetic mechanisms. To this end, we employ both high-throughput functional genomic screening approaches to in vitro and in vivo preclinical models with diverse molecular and functional readouts, and hypothesis-driven target validation and mechanistic studies utilizing a variety of genomic and non-genomic tools and sophisticated discovery and validation processes involving primary cells, iPSC, and in vivo models. We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Scientist, to be located at AbbVie Headquarter Lake County Campus in North Chicago, IL, reporting to the Head of Functional Genomics.Job description:
Functional Genomics within the AbbVie GRC is seeking a highly motivated PhD scientist who will apply CRISPR and other advanced technologies to drug discovery and development research processes to discover and validate novel drug targets and investigate functional implications of human genetic variants, with particular emphasis on immunological basis of cancer, autoimmune and neurodegenerative diseases.
The successful hire will develop flow cytometry-based molecular and functional assays using in vitro cell models such as immune cell lines, primary immune cells, and iPSC-derived immune cells; perform genome-wide pooled lentiviral CRISPR knockout and overexpression screens and arrayed lentiviral and RNP CRISPR screens; follow up on screening hits to generate and test hypotheses in the context of pathogenesis and therapeutic intervention; collaborate with drug discovery area scientists to enable initiation and advancement of drug discovery programs.Responsibilities:
* Generate and test hypothesis by designing, performing and interpreting laboratory-based experiments. Read literature critically and analyze genomic data to support these activities
* Develop in vitro and in vivo screening assays in collaboration with therapeutic area scientists by generating cell lines, developing lentiviral and RNP delivery methods, and integrating and optimizing screening protocols.
* Perform pooled and arrayed CRISPR screens with FACS-based molecular and functional assays on immune cell lines, primary immune cells and iPSC-derived immune cells.
* Work closely with NGS and bioinformatics scientsts to process genomic samples, analyze screening results, and generate screening hits for follow-up studies.
* Investigate novel screening hits in the context of disease biology by generating and testing hypothesis using a variety of biochemical, molecular, cellular and genomic assays.
* Map candidate genes to known disease genetic networks through experimental and bioinformatic approaches.
* Collaborate with therapeutic area scientists to progress screening hits toward initiating and advancing drug discovery programs.
* Design and perform tiling CRISPR screens to identify causal SNPs and genes from GWAS human genetic studies.
* Report research progress to management on a regular basis, provide project updates to cross-functional project teams, and provide scientific presentations to department and other internal scientific forums.
* Seek and advance opportunities to present research results at external scientific conferences and publish them in peer-reviewed journals.
* Train, coach and supervise junior scientists in the Department as well as contribute individually.level is commensurate with experience. Basic:
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
- BS, MS, or PhD in cell, molecular or genomic approaches to immunological basis of human diseases
- 10+ (BS), 8+ (MS), or 0+ (PhD) years of relevant academic, post-doctoral, or industry experience
- Extensive experience in cell, molecular and biochemical analyses of immune cells including lymphoid and myeloid cells using flow cytometry, cytokine release, immunofluorescence, cell proliferation, western, qRT-PCR, and other assays.
- Proficiency in functional genomic analysis involving CRISPR or RNAi enabled by lentiviral and RNP delivery in immune cell lines, primary immune cells or iPSC-derived immune cells.
- Working knowledge in genomics technologies (e.g., NGS, RNA-Seq, single cell analysis) and human genetics (e.g., GWAS), and basic bioinformatic and statistical skills (e.g., Spotfire, ArrayStudio, pathway analysis, genome browsers, etc.)
- Strong desire to achieve scientific excellence and innovative discovery by challenging status quo, asking big yet difficult questions, taking calculated risks and learning from failure as well as success
- Entrepreneurial behaviors demonstrated by agility, accountability, transparency, resourcefulness, and ability to get things done
- Ability to quickly learn new skills and knowledge on the job, demonstrate productivity, and deliver high-quality results
- Flexible mind with ability to think outside the box, creative approach to problem solving, and comfort in working with ambiguous data in an open-ended, exploratory process
- Demonstrated ability to perform as a team player
Associated topics: amp, anatomic, forensic, genomic, hematopathologist, investigative, lab, laboratory, pth, research