Who we are:
Calico is a research and development company whose mission is to harness advanced technologies to increase our understanding of the biology that controls lifespan. We will use that knowledge to devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives. Executing on this mission will require an unprecedented level of interdisciplinary effort and a long-term focus for which funding is already in place.
Calico is seeking an experienced NGS scientist with a particular passion for single cell technology. As a member of our Genomics technology group your results will directly contribute to Calico's long-term mission of positively impacting human healthspan and lifespan. You will be expected to conceive of, design, conduct, analyze and interpret experiments utilizing single cell technology. Your work will take advantage of a diverse array of state of the art next-gen sequencing (NGS) tools and instruments.
In this role you will act as a technical domain expert. You will both perform your own experiments and collaborate with other Calico labs to answer challenging biological questions. You will 'push' current single cell technology to state of the art or beyond in these projects.
You will conduct hands-on laboratory NGS experiments:
* Improve Calico's single cell and spatial transcriptomics methods, including experimental design, sample preparation, library construction, data generation
* Innovate and create novel approaches for droplet and plate-based assays
* Troubleshoot and improve the quality of the results
* Provide single cell technical advice and guidance to your colleagues
You will also analyze your own NGS results:
* Employ existing data NGS bioinformatic analysis tools or develop new bioinformatic analysis tools as needed to analyze your data
* Provide NGS bioinformatic analysis expertise to other team members
* Present results at internal lab meetings and company-wide meetings
* Publish results and present at external scientific conferences
* MS or PhD in molecular biology, genetics, genome sciences, bioengineering, bioinformatics, or related field
* At least 4 years prior hands-on laboratory NGS experience with demonstrated proficiency with extant NGS library methods (RNA-seq, ATAC-seq, IsoSeq or other) is required
* At least 3 years NGS computational coding experience (Python, R, extant NGS bioinformatics analysis tools)
Nice to have:
* Familiarity with droplet-based and plate-based single cell assays and platforms (sci-Seq, InDrop, Drop-Seq, SMART-seq,10x Genomics, Rhapsody, Fluidigm, Dolomite Bio, etc.)
* Experience with cell culture techniques and tissue processing is preferred
* Experience with computational and statistical approaches for high-dimensional data analysis is a plus
Associated topics: bio, biology, biomaterials, biomedical, biomedical engineer, enzyme, genetic, molecular, neuro, neurodegenerative