Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that's committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
At the Merck Elkton facility in Elkton, Virginia, the Antibiotic and Sterile Technical Operations team is seeking a highly motivated individual to provide technical and engineering support to the process and projects in the area as an Associate Director of Engineering in the Finished Antibiotic Technical Operations group. The manufacturing facility is located in the Shenandoah Valley along the Shenandoah River and the Blue Ridge Mountains, a short distance from the University of Virginia and James Madison University.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to apply his or her enthusiasm and technical skills as a member of a multidisciplinary team supporting the operation and improvement of a manufacturing facility. This role requires the ability to manage multiple complex projects, activities, and/or investigations. The role also requires management of other engineers and technical professionals; demonstrated leadership skills are desired. Strong communication, collaboration, and organizational skills are essential. The successful candidate will also have robust problem-solving skills, value a hands-on approach to troubleshooting and investigation, and an ability to teach others how to develop those skills.
The successful candidate will work with the Technical Lead for Antibiotic and Sterile Technical Operations to provide support and direction to the area. She or he will manage a sub-group of the Technical Operations team.
Responsibilities may include:
* Coaching and teaching others
* Collaborating with cross-functional teams across levels, including leading teams or groups
* Reviewing technical investigations and analyses for thoroughness and accuracy
* Leading and writing complex investigations and analyses to determine the root cause and impact
* Reviewing or authoring protocols, technical documents, regulatory agency correspondence or filings, and other GMP documentation
* Providing technical leadership and support for a sterile manufacturing facility, including data analysis, troubleshooting, problem solving, coaching/teaching, and report writing
* Provide support and leadership during inspections
* Executing projects and changes with varying levels of complexity
* Supporting new process qualification and integration
* Achieving safety, quality, and environmental compliance excellence in all assignments
* Producing high quality work against firm deadlines
If you are the kind of individual who thrives on challenge and possesses the technical, leadership, and communication skills that are of value to our business, we invite you to apply. Consistently cited as a great place to work, we discover, develop, manufacture, and market a wide range of vaccines and medicines to address unmet medical needs. Each of our employees is joined by an extraordinary sense of purpose - bringing Merck's finest achievements to people around the world.
Education Minimum Requirement:
* B.S. degree in Engineering or Science field such as chemical engineering, biochemical engineering, integrated science, biology, biological system engineering, mechanical engineering, or related life science or engineering discipline
Required Experience and Skills:
* Minimum of 10 years of relevant industrial experience, which includes experience in any Pharmaceutical, Food, or Chemical manufacturing industry. * Minimum of 2 years people management and development experience * Minimum of 2 years aseptic filling experience * Sterile, aseptic, or microbiological experience in an industrial setting
* Experience leading technical investigations * Strong leadership skills * Excellent organizational skills * Strong verbal and written communication skills; interpersonal and team skills; and collaborative skills * Consistent, strong personal character, ethics, and integrity * Demonstrated coaching and teaching ability * Strong desire to succeed and to help others to do the same. * Robust problem-solving skills and a hands-on approach to troubleshooting and investigation
Preferred Experience and Skills:
* Experience working in a pharmaceutical or cGMP environment * Experience with SAP, DeltaV, and PI ProcessBook * Experience with change control systems * Experience troubleshooting technical issues * Lean Six Sigma Green Belt
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to ...@merck.com.
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.